Bullet Boy

Now, before I get started, I was never a fan of independent movies. Growing up, I was always used to block buster movies and films made by top producers. I never gave independent movies a second glance. But then upon studying this particular film in media studies, I have discovered that I do not only like this movie, but I can also say that it is my favourite movie of all time.



"Bullet Boy" is an independent film, made in 2004. It follows the story of a young boy who has grown up in a rough area of London, made mistakes in life and wishes to turn his life around. As well as being a touching and shocking fiction film, it also portrays elements of truth; there are ever growing reports of gun crime in the United Kingdom, and this film gives the audience an insight into the individuals that are involved lives. 

Full of twists and turns, the plot grips the audience and induces a natural reflection upon themselves and the lives they lead. Personally, I found that after watching this film, I began to stop taking the small things in life for granted and start appreciating the things that I have...not that I am involved in gang culture or anything! 

Yeah mum! 

Too much in life are we shown graphic images of violence, whether it be shown in Hollywood glorified movies, or in music videos, or in video games, and this has made us a densensitised state; we are surrounded by these images so often that when we see them within the world of fiction, they no longer have the desired effect, leading to more and more graphic scenes being needed to really shock an audience. It is not often that we really witness something violent that makes an impact on us as an audience. And I feel that it is this essence that the film captures perfectly. You soon forget that this is a film, an act of fiction, that you are watching. The fact the film is set in Hackney, East London and that it was filmed right on location just adds to the realism of the project, knowing that you can go and walk down that street or sit on that train station platform...eerie stuff! It becomes so life like and realistic that it is actually quite scary. Not in a "i'm not sleeping without a light on tonight" kind of scary, but a "oh shit, this could actually be happening right now!" kind of scary, and that feeling is quite unsettling and something that I believe we as an audience do not get to experience very often anymore. 

Bullet Boy trailer

The film has received multiple awards, including an award for the lead actor, Ashley Walters, as the most promising newcomer at the British Independent Film Awards. The producer, Saul Dibb, also won an award for most promising new comer at the Evening Standard British Film Awards. Yes I know, they are not Golden Globes or BAFTAS, but on a small budget, a bloody good job was done!

I really really do recommend this film. It is 89 minutes long so will not take up all of your day, but trust me, you will look at your life from a different perspective if you watch this film with an open mind and an open heart.

I rate this film as a 10/10...what a bloody good rating for my first review to have! 

Enjoy :]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input :D

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Recent Posts

Recent comments